Wolf Bargain(I fear no falling stock market, I fear the YTF.....)




There is one particular food which I failed to do a review for almost close to 2 years. I had the urge to name it as one of my Wolf Bargain best kept secret. House in a coffeeshop, wrap in a 70s time capsule, tug in the sleepy part of Jalan Besar. I best described my feeling towards this special Yong Tau Foo(YTF) as a stock market participant “ I fear no falling stock market but I fear the queue of Hakka Yong Tau Foo”. Getting the Yong Tau Foo market timing wrong can lead to hours of waiting. There is only that golden half an hour to get a bowl without the long wait. Remember 8am-8.30am from Monday to Thursday. I wouldn’t even try going on Saturday or Sunday. The longest waiting time if I can remember was close to 2 hrs. Of course it doesn’t take long for the Yong Tau Foo to find its way into my happy stomach. 


(YTF soup with Bee Hoon)




(Option of having YTF with noodle)


Yong Tau Foo is one of those common food that doesn’t get the racing pulse remotely excited. The cookie cutter factory made YTF can be bought anywhere without much fuss. This is no ordinary Yong Tau Foo. It is 100% handmade from the fishballs to the tofu with fish paste to the Wu Xiang(5 spices). Each bowl cost $4 inclusive of the noodle(used to be $3 for many years). $4 cost no money in this high inflation era. A bowl come with around 5-6 items. Fishball, Wu Xiang, deep fried beancurd with meat stuffing, vegetable, fried wanton, fish paste with meat, mushroom with fish paste. Items do change occasionally on the owner’s creativity. Some sort of YTF Omakase is to be expected. I like the Wu Xiang very much which I ordered an additional plate. One of their speciality, Hakka Abacus/Taro was part of my combo meal. A small tasting plate cost $2 which is cheap by today standard beside the art of making Hakka Abacus is very time consuming, a lost tradition which very few eateries sell now. They are also famous for their beef ball soup. Balls are as big as ping pong. 


(Wu Xiang a.k.a 5 spices)


(Hakka abacus)


The soup is clear and tasty, not overly seasoned. The fishball and meat ball is spongy. The Wu Xiang is always satisfying. It is difficult to pinpoint with exact precision what is the unique selling point of the Hakka YTF since everything is nice. They are just different, pure comfort food for the soul. One of my friend Raphael had been suggesting me to write this. He still has fond memories of the Hakka Yong Tau Foo. Raphael, YTF for you? 😁

In time of extraordinary inflationary pressure, good and expensive food are aplenty. Finding the good and inexpensive food is getting more and more challenging as senior tradesmen retired. A generation of culinary skill is lost in time. I fear no falling stock market, I fear the YTF.......Yesterday, Today and gone Forever. Eat it before losing it.



Address : Hakka Yong Tau Foo 

Gar Lok Eating House 217 Syed Alwi Road, Singapore 207776

Operating Hours : 8am-1pm Sunday to Thursday, Friday closed 


* Review is unpaid and unscheduled. 

Please follow us on telegram for the latest update on Lone Wolf Investor by clicking on the link below 

https://t.me/joinchat/oCgkD3sQFRMzMWM1





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wolf Money(Portfolio update for end April 2024)part 1

Wolf Money(The Demise of The Singapore Stock Market)

Wolf Money(portfolio update for end Aug 2023) part 1